Registration FAQ: Here’s the most commonly asked questions we’ve received about registering for The Ultimate Big Bend Adventure!
- Is this just for serious runners? Hell no! Actually, we don’t have that many fast runners…and even when we do we can’t keep up with them anyway! The vast majorities of participants are just avid trail runners or hikers who enjoy the course at their own pace. Most have never done a stage race before and some have never even run a ultra before! If you still aren’t sure then join us as a volunteer.Trans-Pecos Ultra was created for the adventurous at heart, by one of their own. Read about the creator and race director, Chris Herrera, PhD and meet Our Team.
- Is the price really all-inclusive? Yes, we will take care of you for 10 days so that you can experience remote back country in Big Bend. All you have to do is get to El Paso, Texas with your race kit and the food you’ll need during the race (i.e. self-supported challenge).Think of this as a group vacation tour for the adventurous at heart…or like we say an amazing “race-cation”. The all-inclusive registration is worry-free so you can spend time training and planning for this life-changing experience.Discounts
Full Payment Discount: 10% off for one-time payment of $2,250
Law Enforcement/Military/Veteran Discount: 10% (pay in full or use payment plan which requires $500 deposit)
TPU Tribe (aka – Alumni Discount for volunteers and participants): 20%
Group Discount for 2+ at same registration: 20%
- What are the payment options? Any discounts?? We’ve got 2 payment options and there’s limited spots each year so it’s probably a good idea to act fast.
- Pay in full and save 10% ($250 off) which will confirm and guarantee entry (That’s $2,250 total)
- Lone Star Payment Plan: $2,500 total with $500 deposit + customized monthly payments as low as $250/month! Note: When using the payment plan, the $500 deposit will reserve your spot until the final payment is received. If final payment is not received by 15 September your entry is not confirmed and may be released.
- Accepted forms of payment: PayPal* and US bank transfer*VISA, MasterCard, and AMEX (as of 1/1/2016)
- Sounds good, but do you have a video preview for some inspiration? Sure do…Browse through our most recent Photos & Videos to get a sneak peak at the TPU experience. Or visit our Results page for video highlights of both 2016 and 2015.
- Do you require medical clearance or travel insurance? Yes to both.Travel Insurance is required due to the extremely remote location. At least one month prior to the race, all participants and volunteers must furnish a copy of comprehensive medical insurance with special coverage for “adventure sports” before the race.Coverage must also provide for emergency medical evacuation, including helicopter provisions. A supplemental travel health policy covering your trip costs is approximately $50-$100 from TRAVEL GUARD. If you have any questions just CONTACT US.Medical Clearance is also required from your doctor before the race. A pre-participation medical screening form will be provided after registration.
- Ok, I’m interested by I don’t have the time or money this year – what should I do? We know Trans-Pecos Ultra is pretty damn unique but if you’ve gotten this far it’s probably just the right event for you! If your piggy-bank isn’t quite full then consider joining us as a Volunteer – it’s free! Learn more on our Volunteer Info page.Plus, you can always write to us with any questions or comments and we’ll help you convince the boss or family to support you in this adventure. If you just don’t think it’s worth the money let us know what it’s worth to you and why. We love to help. Contact Us