Registration FAQ: Here’s the most commonly asked questions we’ve received about TPU.
1. Is this just for serious runners? Hell no! Actually, we don’t have that many fast runners…and even when we do we can’t keep up with them anyway! The vast majorities of participants are just avid trail runners or hikers who enjoy the course at their own pace. Most have never done a stage race before and some have never even run a ultra before! Trans-Pecos Ultra was created for the adventurous at heart, by one of their own. Read about the creator and race director, Chris Herrera, PhD and meet Our Team.
2. Is the price really all-inclusive? Yes, we provide a dedicated support team of volunteers and medical personnel to keep you safe so that you can experience the remote back country in Big Bend Ranch State Park. All you have to do is get to El Paso, Texas with your race kit, food, and required travel insurance. We like to think of this as a group vacation tour for the adventurous at heart…or like we say an amazing “race-cation”. The all-inclusive registration is worry-free so you can spend time training and planning for this life-changing experience.
4. Do you require medical clearance or travel insurance? Yes to both.Travel Insurance is required due to the extremely remote location. At least one month prior to the race, all participants and volunteers must furnish a copy of comprehensive medical insurance with special coverage for “adventure sports” before the race.Coverage must also provide for emergency medical evacuation, including helicopter provisions. A supplemental travel health policy covering your trip costs is approximately $50-$100 from TRAVEL GUARD. If you have any questions just CONTACT US.Medical Clearance is also required from your doctor before the race. A pre-participation medical screening form will be provided after registration.
4. What are the payment options? We’ve got 2 payment options and there’s limited spots each year so it’s probably a good idea to act fast.
- Pay in full and save 10% which will confirm and guarantee entry (That’s $2,500 total)
- Lone Star Payment Plan: $2,750 total price; requires $500 deposit + monthly payments of $250/month! Note: When using the payment plan, the $500 deposit will reserve your spot until the final payment is received. If final payment is not received by 15 September your entry is not confirmed and may be released.
- Accepted forms of payment: PayPal* and US bank transfer*VISA, MasterCard, and AMEX (as of 1/1/2016)
5. Any other discounts?? Yes, but these are applied to the full price, not the deposit; and you cannot combine discounts!
- Law Enforcement/Active Military/Veteran Discount: 10% off full price
- Group Discount for 2+ at same registration: 15% off full price
- TPU Tribe Discount (aka – Alumni Discount for past volunteers and participants): 20% off full price
6. Sounds amazing…do you have a video preview for some inspiration? Sure do…Browse through our most recent Photos & Videos to get a sneak peak at the TPU experience. Or visit our Results page for video highlights of both 2016 and 2015.
7. Ok, I’m interested by I don’t have the time or money this year – what should I do? We know Trans-Pecos Ultra is pretty damn unique but if you’ve gotten this far it’s probably just the right event for you! If your piggy-bank isn’t quite full then consider joining us as a Volunteer – it’s free! Learn more on our Volunteer Info page.
If you just don’t think it’s worth the money let us know what it’s worth to you and why. We love to help. Contact Us