Registration FAQ: Here’s the most commonly asked questions we’ve received about TPU.
1. Is this just for serious runners? Hell no! Actually, we don’t have that many fast runners…and even when we do we can’t keep up with them anyway! The vast majorities of participants are just avid trail runners or hikers who enjoy the course at their own pace. Most have never done a stage race before and some have never even run a ultra before! Trans-Pecos Ultra was created for the adventurous at heart, by one of their own. Read about the creator and race director, Chris Herrera and meet Our Team.
2. Is the price really all-inclusive? Yes but credit card processing fees of 2.9% + $1.30 per registration do apply. So, once you get to El Paso, Texas with your race kit, food, and required travel insurance we’ll take care of the rest. We like to think of TPU as a group vacation tour for the adventurous at heart…or like we say an amazing “race-cation”. We provide a dedicated support team of volunteers and medical personnel ON THE COURSE to keep you safe so that you can experience the remote back country in Big Bend Ranch State Park. The all-inclusive registration is worry-free so you can spend time training and planning for this life-changing experience.
3. Do you require medical clearance or travel insurance? Yes to both. Medical Clearance is required from your doctor before the race. A pre-participation medical screening form will be provided after registration. Travel Insurance is also required due to the extremely remote location which would require helicopter evacuation to keep you safe in an emergency. At least one month prior to the race, all participants and volunteers must furnish a copy of their medical insurance with special coverage for “adventure sports” before the race. Coverage must also provide for emergency medical evacuation, namely helicopter evacuation. A supplemental travel health policy covering your trip costs is approximately $50-$100 from TRAVEL GUARD. If you have any questions just CONTACT US.
4. What are the payment options? We’ve got 2 payment options and there’s limited spots each year so it’s probably a good idea to act fast.
- Pay in full to save 10% and guarantee entry (That’s $2,250 total)
- Payment Plan: $2,500 total price; requires $500 deposit + recurring payments of at least $250/month. Note: When using the payment plan, the $500 deposit will reserve your spot until the final payment is received. Failure to make two consecutive payments will result in cancellation – subject to refund policy. If final payment is not received by 15 August your entry is not confirmed and will be released.
5. Any other discounts?? Yes, the following can be applied but you cannot combine discounts!
- Group Discount for 2+ at same registration: $2k each; use 10% off full payment; or pay $500 deposit and drop last two payments on plan; must sign up together to qualify.
- Law Enforcement/Active Military/Veteran Discount: $2k each; use 10% off full payment; or pay $500 deposit and drop last two payments on plan; must describe affiliation at time of registration to qualify.
- TPU Tribe Discount (aka – Alumni Discount for past volunteers and participants): $2k each; use 10% off full payment; or pay $500 deposit and drop last two payments on plan.
6. Sounds amazing…do you have a video preview for some inspiration? Sure do…Browse through our most recent Photos & Videos to get a sneak peak at the TPU experience. Or visit our Results page for video highlights of both 2016 and 2015.
7. Ok, I’m interested by I don’t have the time or money this year – what should I do? We know Trans-Pecos Ultra is pretty damn unique but if you’ve gotten this far it’s probably just the right event for you! If your piggy-bank isn’t quite full then consider joining us as a Volunteer – it’s free! Learn more on our Volunteer Info page.
If you just don’t think it’s worth the money let us know what it’s worth to you and why. We love to help. Contact Us